ROW80 Wednesday Check-In: 1/18/12

“Think of what you’re saying. You can get it wrong and still you think that it’s all right. Think of what I’m saying. We can work it out and get it straight, or say good night. We can work it out, we can work it out.” ~ The Beatles

A lot of Internet sites, including individual blogs, are going dark today to protest two Congressional bills: the Protect IP Act (PIPA) and Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).  I am not because of prior commitments in blog scheduling.  You can find more information about the issue here.

This is a bit of a less productive mid-week check-in for me because several of my goals are slotted for completion later in the week.

Writing/Craft

• 1,500 words of new fiction a week either on novel WIP or short stories.  No WIP work so far this week.  Sunday ended up being a catch-up day for finishing up some of last week’s goals.  Monday and Tuesday, I did some work on drafts of future blogs.  To get cracking on the count, I’ve scheduled 30 min. during lunch today and Thursday to write as well as a chunk of time on Friday night.
  • Read at least one chapter a week of a craft book.  I’ll be working on chapter three of “Plot and Structure” Saturday.
  • Read at least one chapter of a novel each week.  I now have “Defensive Wounds” as a Kindle library loan (yeah, my first!) versus the hardcover so now I can read it easier on the go and at the gym.  I’ll read at least one more chapter tonight on the treadmill.

Social Media

• Blog three times a week.  This week, I’m having a guest blogger bonanza.  Including check-ins, I’ll have four posts up through today and three pending, including me doing a guest post on Friday. 🙂
  • Read, comment and share at least 10 blogs a week.  Done.
  • Check Twitter and Facebook at least once daily.  Doing well so far.

Healthy Happy Living

• Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, three times a week.  Tonight is the first day.  My weekend is busy, so I’m gunning to get in cardio on Friday and a catch-up on Sunday.
  • Finish my poncho project via crocheting one hour a week.  Yikers!  Haven’t scheduled this in yet.
  • Enjoy watching one movie a week without multitasking.  Done.  I took my mom to see Joyful Noise on Monday.  It was a festival of feel good cheese and about halfway through, I crossed my arms and started noting some of the plot points that were either not followed through or secondary and useless to the story.  That said, the performance numbers (Queen Latifah’s “Fix Me” was breathtaking) and fun the actors were having carried it along.  I was entertained and Dolly Parton always makes me smile.

New fave actor: Jeremy Jordan.  This was his feature film debut and he stole it for me.  His acting and emotional give within scenes is wicked good.  And with a background on Broadway, his duet on Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed” made me sit up, uncross my arms and want to run and get the soundtrack.  I’d actually consider going to see the movie again just to watch the nuances of his technique.

I’ve got a lot to push out during the rest of the week.  How are you doing?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to ROW80 Wednesday Check-In: 1/18/12

1. You are the Queen of blogging this week! I should take some advice for you on streamlining the writing process for blogs. I’m a wee bit slow in that department. 🙂

2. I’ve never thought to go to the gym to read! :O I’d be worried about sweaty palms all over the book though :S I think I’ll stick to reading at home/on the train/at work.

Good to see you’re doing really well with your goals though. x

• The only thing that works for me in terms of reading at the gym is reading my Kindle on the treadmill. I used to try to read magazines and hard copy books and I’d get dizzy or fear stumbling. Now I just push a button to change the page and the text stays in one spot for my eyes. I know I read faster on the Kindle as well. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Kelly!

3. You’re doing so well! 🙂 Good job… I never thought to go to the gym to read either.. I’ll have to give it a shot. And by the way.. love The Beatles intro.. 😀
    My blog will be going black today from 8am – pm.. My ROW80 post will be up tonight.
    Take care..

• Popped over and read your ROW80 update. Good stuff, Darlene! Definitely try reading at the gym. I used to listen to my iPod on the treadmill or recumbent bike and find myself watching the clock. With reading, I get sucked into the story and the time whizzes by.

4. Callene Rapp says:

You go, girl! That’s an awesome week. Congrats on hitting those targets. I’m still struggling with the social media stuff but it’s getting easier.

Have a great rest of your week!

• Thanks, Callene! For social media, checking quickly via the TweetDeck and FB apps on my tablet has been a life saver. I can eyeball things, share an idea real quick and read posts on the go.

5. Gina says:

so funny – i forget to check facebook too. no one else seems to have this problem 😉
    good luck with your goals for the rest of the week!
    gina

• I know, right, Gina? I know people all over FB where I’d go a week without logging in. I’m better now, mostly from some participation in groups. I don’t update my status a ton, but am far more social now.

6. Girl, you are rocking out the blogosphere this week. I love it!!! Here’s to reaching the rest of your goals this week! I had been thinking about seeing Joyful Noise!!!

7. thanks for your comments on Joyful Noise. I am not a movie goer but have considered this one. anything with Queen Latifah and Dolly has got to include great vocals. glad you’re not black today. I’m not either.

• For entertainment value, you will get that with Joyful Noise. While some story parts strained in believability, all the casting worked and I was drawn in by that. The bantering between Queen Latifah and Dolly is also cute. The movie has the feel good quality of like a Sister Act.

8. Ryan King says:

I didn’t turn my blog dark either but I did add a ribbon for it. Best of luck catching up with your word count!

9. Wow! What a busy blogging week. 😀 Good luck with your goals, and I have a crochet project I need to get to work on. An angry birds sock hat for my son. LOL!

Keep Writing!
    Dawn

10. Stacy Green says:

I didn’t turn my blog dark either. I actually just found out about it a few hours ago. And yes, living under a rock. Sounds like you have a busy week planned. Good luck!

11. Woohoo on all the blogging this week. I’m behind in some of my goals too but we’ll get there. 😀

12. Marcia says:

Sounds like you’re doing well, Barb. And, my blog is not dark today either…forgot. I love to read while on the treadmill… makes the time go faster and I know I’ll get some reading in even if I miss out on it before bed. Good luck in the rest of the week!

• That’s why I love reading on the treadmill too, Marcia. I used to try to get reading in right before bed and would miss it from being exhausted. The reading while walking actually helps me wind down after work. Imagine that, multitasking that has a calming result. 🙂

13. I’d say you check every box on your goal list so far this week. And you gave us a bit of eye candy too! I haven’t seen that movie yet, but I so want to. What can I say…I’m a Dolly fan. How do you not just love her….she’s so….cute!

Congrats on such a successful start to your week, keep going! 😀

• Thanks for the kudos, Veronica! I’m toying on seeing the movie again just to smile and sing along. It was refreshing to have a cast in a musical film with true singing talent versus a star put in role to draw an audience, but with limited (or even dubbed) vocals. Watching Dolly makes me want to go watch 9 to 5 again. She was great in that one too. Just a natural happy spirit. And watching Jeremy makes me want to see him in a live production. I bet he lights up the stage.

14. Jenny Hansen says:

I’ve been wanting to see Joyful Noise – thanks for the great review! I’m so impressed with how well you’re sticking to your goals. You go, girl!!!

• Ahh, thanks, Jenny! I’m feeling like all productive and stuff. 🙂 Scheduling when I’ll hit the goals during each week is the secret. Otherwise, I’d find myself on Saturday with the full list to get done.

15. Ali Dent says:

Ahhh enjoy a movie without multi-tasking. I thought I was the only person who did that. Wishing you well.

16. Congratulations on achieving your goals! Sounds like you’re doing great. 😀

17. You are a busy bee this week! I love it 🙂 I want to read all those fabulous posts of yours, darling.

Great idea with multitasking – I ALWAYS either read books, or blogs, or comment on blogs while working out.

Thanks for introducing Jeremy Jordan here. He sounds like a new star!

18. Pingback: Spring Loving | Barbara McDowell's Blog

Talk to Me

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s