Round Four of 2011 was my first rodeo with ROW80. There were great successes (I rocked the house watching movies while no longer multitasking), smaller successes (more writing and reading) and some misses (regular blogging schedule). I didn’t rock the ROW as I had hoped to–yes, some of my go big perfectionist issues flared up—and I’m glad I didn’t because of the great tips I’ve learned about what works for me. I can now craft them into my new goals.
Here are my goals (and check out the goals of others here):
- 1,500 words of new fiction a week either on novel WIP or short stories. I’m making this a more general word total instead of a total per day goal and making it specific to my WIPs. Last round, I found that I did get writing totals done, but it wasn’t always WIP-focused. Need to crack that WIP.
- Read at least one chapter a week of a craft book. This worked well for me and once I’d start, I typically read more pages in a sitting. The chapter goal makes finishing the to-be-read items manageable.
- Read at least one chapter of a novel each week. Ditto.
- Blog three times a week. I’m planning on this being a Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule. Since American Idol will be starting soon, expect to see a few “Rants from an Idol Addict” posts wandering in.
- Read, comment and share at least 10 blogs a week. This worked for me before in terms of meeting more great peeps and building community.
- Check Twitter and Facebook at least once daily. There were some times last round where the busy moments of life kept me offline for days. It is way too easy to fall behind and then start feeling detached and overwhelmed in catching up.
Healthy Happy Living
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, three times a week. I hit this hard before then lost focus a bit towards the end of the year and ate a lot of holiday sweet potato pie. This will now be a blend of cardio, strength training, yoga (at new studio I found) and hopefully being able to do an occasional modified Zumba session (with emphasis on the leg versus arm movements). Due my lingering car accident injuries, I haven’t been able to do Zumba in over a year. I miss it and that was a surefire way to kick the heart rate into gear.
- Finish my poncho project via crocheting one hour a week. I needed to make this more specific to get the project done.
- Enjoy watching one movie a week without multitasking. I found out that this goal has helped me in terms of analyzing story and plot structure. I walked out of the latest Mission Impossible movie going “well I was entertained by the action, but there was no real story line or cohesive conflict to follow.” Heh. As with last round, repeat movies are allowed. This allows me to indulge in repeated Twilight viewings (yes it is cheesy, but Edward is dreamy). 🙂
Last round, my theme song was Michael Jackson’s “Keep the Faith,” much needed to survive my busiest time at work. This round, in honor of American Idol starting back in a few weeks, I’m rocking the kinda schmaltzy (with talk of rainbows, pots of gold and shooting stars), but moving, “I Believe” by season three winner Fantasia Barrino. On my life theme songs list, the song was co-written by my season one fave Tamyra Gray and speaks to embracing an attitude of being able to aim at goals because of belief in self. “Cause anything is possible when you believe.”