“You got to get it while you can.” ~ Janis Joplin
It is time for my first mid-week check in for round one. “Have you ever reached a rainbow’s end?” Yep, that is me singing my theme song. If you are new here, I’m the gal that rocks a soundtrack to life. Last round, “Keep the Faith” was my anthem.
So, how am I doing? Well, the long weekend paired with a blizzard on Monday allowed me to start out with a bit of a “clean house and get organized” mentality, which is good. I did some behind the scenes blog tweaks, finalized my goals and handled the holiday laundry (hey, clutter and tasks can steal you away from writing time). I also basked in the warmth of everyone’s comments and support as I start this round. Shout out to my readers – you guys rock!
- 1,500 words of new fiction a week either on novel WIP or short stories. I have 452 words in from a free write Tuesday that will fit into my novel. I have time scheduled to dig in again on Thursday and this weekend. Getting busy with life and not scheduling writing time is what tossed me off the productivity path in the past, so I’ve evolved from my “write when the spirit hits you” existence.
I must admit the goal I had last round with word counts assigned to days I needed to do them made me twitch. I’m still figuring out my “best process,” and like Kait Nolan’s idea of doing a “butt in chair” Test Mile to get in the writing, even if it is just 100 words. Once I get a timer, my daily writing might be blocks of time (like 30 minute or hour sessions) versus word count. That feels like a better fit.
- Read at least one chapter a week of a craft book. I did some exercises from James Scott Bell’s “Plot and Structure” last round, but will be reading it entirely now. There are 14 chapters and I’ll be reading at home so I can then do each of the chapter exercises.
- Read at least one chapter of a novel each week. I’m going with one of my selections from the library, “Defensive Wounds” by Lisa Black. It is a suspense novel and, since I’m writing a dark suspense novel, will be great to see techniques in practice. Also, Lisa is a former forensic scientist from the Cleveland, Ohio coroner’s office. Yeah Cleveland! This will be my first book of hers and I hope to check out the previous three in the series. I’ll be carrying the book to work and reading at lunch.
- Blog three times a week. Three done if you count this update. I plan to do more this week.
- Read, comment and share at least 10 blogs a week. Done. Buya! 🙂
- Check Twitter and Facebook at least once daily. Good with Twitter. I missed FB yesterday, but got to it today. Need to get that timer for Twitter though… I love it and it sucks me in deep.
Healthy Happy Living
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, three times a week. Headed to the gym for an hour of strength training tonight. Will try getting back into a Zumba session either on Friday or Saturday (there are classes on both days). Need to schedule some other cardio. I feel like a bit of a sloth about that.
I did register for a two-hour restorative yoga session on January 14. Yeah! I hope to be able to fit in one yoga session a week. Oh and I got a massage last night, which so counts towards self-care.
- Finish my poncho project via crocheting one hour a week. Nothing done on this yet.
- Enjoy watching one movie a week without multitasking. I have queued up to watch 1408 (never seen) and Twilight: Eclipse (seen twice). Eclipse is my least favorite of the movie series (I don’t like the actress switch they made for Victoria), but I said I’d watch one more time to confirm it. Yes, I have Twilight dependency issues. I’m a sucker for vampires and a closet romantic.