Image source: http://debbiesdigest.blogspot.com
I’ve been knocking 2013 goals around in my head for the past two months. As I shared in the comments to Jenny Hansen’s fab post on the fear of setting goals, “my 2013 goals have been a December project that was never completed. I’m not sure what my issue is–I smacked them down fine last year and, like you, know what I want to do in my head. It is the dang fear fairy and she’s aiming for a beat down.”
Well that was on January 10 and I danced around in the energy and merriment of a new year starting for 10 more days until–BAM–I hit a difficult life moment and fell down. Receiving great advice to stay busy, I found myself looking around to an empty hole of direction. No concrete goals equaled nothing to turn to in the darkness. The stuff in my head was fantasies and dreams…nothing concrete in writing, no deadlines set, no action plans.
Fantasies and dreams = squat.
Who wants days, weeks, months or a year full of squat? Yeah, not me either. So I’m back to ROW80 because of the goal-centered focus, circle of support and recognition of the realities of life. We know that writers write. Writers also flourish and struggle through the beauty of life. Successful writers not only have goals, but a set of plans to achieve those goals. Then when fear fairy wanders over–and she will because there are a zillion things in life that can toss you off the path and make you question your voice–we can cast our eyes onto the stair steps and climb.
My ROW goals this year are being set as direct steps to help me achieve my master goals for the year.
Writing Life Goals through March 28
- Complete 4,000 words a week on Group Think WIP
- Take challenging chapter to writing group in February and March
- Attend Women’s Writing Retreat in February and Western Reserve Writing Conference in March
- Research upcoming short story anthology calls for submission
- Complete one blog post each week
Personal Life Goals through March 28
- Watch one TED video each week
- Complete cardio three times a week
- Attend yoga class/workshop two times a month
- Read six books to stay on pace for goal of 24 books this year
What are your plans for reaching your goals this year? Be sure to check out and support the ROW80 updates of others via the blog hop.